School Year: July 1, 2021 – May 19th
To have a better understanding about the Open Enrollment process, please read the information on this page BEFORE applying.
Open Enrollment enables Arizona students to attend public schools outside their attendance area. In accordance with state law, the District has established an open enrollment policy and implemented an open enrollment program without charging tuition for non-resident students and resident transfer students.
The Open Enrollment Application is NOT for school registration. Online student registration and information can be found by clicking here.
Click Here to determine your elementary school boundary.
For school capacity and program capacity numbers, CLICK HERE
More information on BESD Open Enrollment, CLICK HERE
- All completed applications will be assigned a Priority Group from Elementary Education.
- The school office will verify their class ratios of capacity and this will determine how many Open Enrollments will be approved for each grade level.
- The school office will access their online Priority Group Reports to review their applications. The applications are reviewed by the Priority Group and by the date and time for each grade level. The student’s, attendance report, discipline report and grade report will also be reviewed. If the student is currently NOT attending a BESD school and the requested documents are not attached to the application, you have five working days to submit to them?
- If the application is approved by your requested school, you will receive a call from the front office.
- The parent/legal guardian must confirm the acceptance of the approved Open Enrollment with the school office within 5 working days from the contact date or the seat will be offered to the next applicant.
- School registration will take place at the approved school AFTER you receive notification from the school. See the Student Registration and Enrollment Information section for more information on registration.
- Once accepted, continuing Open Enrollment is subject to review each year without reapplication if continuing at the enrolled site.
- It is expected that the student on an Open Enrollment remain at the approved school for the entire year. Revoking an Open Enrollment requires district approval.
If you receive a denial letter due to capacity (no seat available), you don’t have to reapply. If a seat becomes available, you will be contacted.
Open Enrollment Calendar
Early Open Enrollment Period — Prior to March 1s
For any application submitted before March 1st, the student will be notified of the acceptance decision by April 15th. If accepted, the school requests confirmation within two weeks of notification that the student will attend. The names of applicants who are not accepted will be placed on a waiting list.
Regular Open Enrollment Period — March 1st to Start of School
If space is available, schools continue can accept applications and may maintain a waiting list. Schools will notify students who are accepted from a waiting list and request confirmation that the applicants will attend school the following year. Acceptance and confirmation continues until the school meets capacity.
Open Enrollment During Current School Year
An application for the current school year will be acted upon at the discretion of the school principal on a case-by-case basis.