What is a Maintenance & Operations Override Election?
This is a continuation of our current funding measure has been in place for 30 years!
• The law allows school districts to acquire between 10%- 15% additional funding through local voter support above the current operations budget provided by the State.
• BESD’s Override is $2.5 million dollars.
• The funds are used for staff salaries and benefits to attract and retain 49 highly qualified teachers and allow BESD to keep class sizes small, maintain competitive salaries, offer free all-day Kindergarten, Art, Music, Band, PE, guidance counselors, and reading and math intervention specialists in every school.
Is the Override a New Tax? NO!
The Override is Not A New Tax It’s A Continuation Of Our Current Funding
- The M&O Override is a component of the Secondary Tax Rate.
- It is projected to be $1.34 per $100 of assessed valuation for FY 17-18 if the Override Election is passed.
- What does that mean to me?
- On a $100,000 home $134 per year on your property tax or .37 cents a day.
- On a $50,000 home $67 per year on your property tax, or .18 per day.
- Average home in Buckeye is $85,380 (from AZ Department of Revenue).
How does BESD protect my property value?
- Quality Staff + Quality Programs = Quality Students.
- Good Schools + Good Community = Great property Values.
- Growing District, poised for 4 schools within the next 10 years.
- Tuition based self- funded preschool program, results in affordable preschool for parents.
How do I register to vote?
- You can register online at: http://http://servicearizona.com/voterRegistration. The link is posted on the BESD website. The deadline to register to vote is October 9, 2017.
- All ballots will be mailed to all registered voters starting October 11, 2017. To vote, mail in your ballot or visit a voting center. For more information about these new procedures and voting options please contact the Maricopa County Elections Office at 602-506-3535or https://recorder.maricopa.gov/elections.